Monday, March 24, 2014

Light, Reflection, Shadow

Sometimes you just need a little writing inspiration. I'm going to continue mine from Ann Voskamp's blog,  A Holy Experience& write on one of her JoyDares. If you look at her list, I'm on #8 out of 31. Slow and steady wins the race. Pretty sure I started on these two years ago.

Number 8 says: a light that caught you, a reflection that surprised you, a shadow that fell lovely.

Light that caught you: Oh, glorious sunlight, how I have missed thee. During spring break, I warmed my bones in the sun. Bliss.



A reflection that surprised you:  In general, it always surprises me when I connect with people who I have previously judged. I'm guilty of it and I'm sure you are too. Although, every now and then a circumstance presents itself which allows you to see your reflection in others. This has happened to me a few times this year & it always reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:
"If you judge people, you have no time to love them."
 - Mother Teresa

A shadow that fell lovely: On Saturday, I was very excited because Josh finally had the day off work for the first time in what seemed like months. Weekend bike rides used to be one of our "things" but lately that has gone down the drain. Since there was finally a day with no hurried schedules, we decided to get back to it! His part of town is a little better for bike riding, so we had to transfer our bikes from my house to his house via our cars. Mind you, we both have small cars, therefore the bike's front tires were dismantled, back seats of cars were folded down and bikes we carefully shoved placed in the tight car spaces. All this to say... it was a process. After the big transfer, we ran inside to change clothes and eat a quick snack (never know how far you're gonna venture from home base...don't wanna be stranded and hungry....which is my main concern....always) I swear as soon as we opened the door, the rain started. This is where the shadow turns lovely. We went anyway. It rained harder the longer we stayed out but we had the best time. We rode around through neighborhoods and picked out which houses were our favorites, we ran into one of my 6th grade students who was also out playing in the rain with her umbrella, water was dripping off the bill of our hats, our clothes were soaked completely through, and it was great. Actually, it was lovely.


No comments:

Post a Comment