Monday, June 20, 2011

Berry Pickin'


In the true spirit of summer time, Trey and I made a visit out to Ottowa Farms in Bloomingdale and spent an afternoon picking our very own blackberries and blueberries.

We had the best time and the whole experience kind of comes with a sense of accomplishment. When you eat them.....you think: "my own sweat, blood, and tears went into picking this very berry." As we speak I am eating some blueberries on my Honey Bunches of Oats. Between the two of us, we picked 3 lbs. of blackberries and 1 and a half lbs. of blueberries.





Here's the rundown. You go into the sweet little country store and grab your basket for pickin', pick till your heart's content, then go inside to weigh -and -pay. Might I add, they have all kinds of other goods to buy in the country store. Along with our berries, we came out with a seedless watermelon, some homemade peach salsa, 2 lbs. of fresh angus beef (hormone and anti-biotic free!) and a big ol' vidalia onion.

I was so tempted to buy a loaf of fresh apple bread, but I figured I had plenty enough already. No need to go overboard. Another trip is most definitely in order.

Now, what to do with all these BERRIES?
I've been looking up blackberry recipes and I think I found the perfect one on another blog that I follow called Two Peas and Their Pod. They have the most excellent recipes. In fact, I made their Vanilla Pudding Chocolate Chip Cookies on Friday night and they were to-die-for. So, the recipe I chose for the blackberries is Lemon Ricotta Blackberry Muffins. I'm sure its going to make a ton, so I will be happy to share!


Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment