Monday, December 19, 2011

My Dad

Ahhh, the first official day of Christmas break. Monday's don't seem so bad right now. This morning, somehow I pulled myself out of my cozy, warm bed. Complete with red flannel sheets. I did some lovely, hot yoga and now I have gloriously returned to my bed. Possibly the best feeling in the world.

This is also a special day in the history books because it's Jack Wilson's birthday!  I'm the luckiest daughter in the world to have him as my dad. Poor guy has had to live with 3 girls for the better part of his life and not a complaint comes out of his mouth. His patient and gentle spirit exceeds them all. He may be a man of few words, but he always knows just what to say.

Awhile ago, I read a book called God Came Near by Max Lucado. This passage stood out to me because it reminded me so much of my dad. It's more of a Father's Day tribute, but I'm going to use it as birthday tribute this time.

"His achievements, though admirable, were nothing extraordinary. Summer vacation, homecoming dates, algebra, first car, driveway basketball- they all had one thing in common: his presence. And because he was there, life went smoothly. The car always ran, the bills got paid, the lawn stayed mowed. Because he was there, the laughter was fresh and the future was secure. Because he was there, my growing up was what God intended growing up to be; a storybook scamper through the magic and mystery of the world. Because he was there, we kids never worried about things like income tax, savings accounts, monthly bills, or mortgages. Those were the things on Daddy's desk. We have lots of family pictures without him. Not because he wasn't there, but because he was always the one behind the camera"
-Max Lucado, God Came Near

So Dad, I hope you enjoy your special day. You are loved by many! Most especially, me!

Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment