Monday, March 7, 2011

Winning a Raffle

This was a special weekend for my grandparents. Every year, their church puts on what is called 'The Bazaar' where all kinds of items are sold to raise money for the church. The church ladies get together and do canning (jellies, relishes, and jams) for months before the event. There is a luncheon put on, a white elephant sale, a silent auction....the works. Then there is the famous "Candlelight Dinner" to be raffled off. A real- fancy like black tie affiar. Every year my Grama and Bob (yes..I call my granddad by his name. He is my real grandfather. Don't question it..) buy tickets and put their name in the drawing for this fine affair. Well, this was their lucky year. This year they won the raffle for The Candlelight Dinner.

They got to invite 5 couples to share the night with them. Three of their couple friends were invited, then my mom, dad, sister, & I made up the rest of the lucky guests. They beamed and introduced us to everyone in their path. You would've thought that we were celebrities. What can I say, its nice to be doted upon.

On the menu we had:
Fresh Crab Salad on Endive

Herb & Cheese Stuffed Peppers

Coconut Curry Shrimp with Couscous

Beef Tartar served with Capers, Shallots, Garlic, and Toast Points with a Fresh Green Salad

Orange and Lavendar infused Sorbet

Grilled Red Drum served with Chinese Black Rice, Citrus Supremes and Asparagus finished with a Parsely Cream Sauce

Chocolate Torte with Berries and Whipped Cream

Assorted Domestic and Imported Cheeses


And to top it off, my friend from highschool and prom date for 2 years in a row, Bryn, was our chef! After the delicious 5 course (or more) meal, we got to catch up on the past 10 years of life since highschool. Wow. We're real grown-ups now.

Being in Green Meldrim House with the all the marble and wrought iron and heavy drapery and black- tie attire, Cathlin and I felt like Rose from Titanic, eating with all the stuffy, rich folk. So fancy in fact, that I'm not sure anyone at our table knew which fork to start eating with because we were all just playing the part. Of course we quoted The Unsinkable Molly Brown, 'just start from the outside and work your way in!" (Can you tell I'm a die hard Titanic fan? Saw it in the theaters 4 times, but thats another story). And we quoted the movie...all night long.....

Seeing my grandparents so happy to have a few of their favorite people together in one special place was just the best.

Here's to winning it again next year!
Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment