Thursday, January 11, 2018

Hygge

Ever heard of it? Yeah, me either. Hygge (pronounced hue-gah) is apparently Danish lifestyle that emphasizes embracing the little luxuries in our everyday life and finding deeper meaning in the ordinary. I didn't make this up. It came from the greatest article in the Young Living Essential Oils magazine that arrived in the box with my starter kit. With the Internet being so accessible and providing me with every service and idea under the sun, I rarely put time into the magazines I used to read through, in depth! I used to cut out workout routines and recipes from Self magazine back in the day. I would tear out home decor ideas from countless catalogs. Now, everything comes from Pinterest or Instagram (or insert site of your choice.) That being said, this magazine has been one that I've enjoyed holding on to and flipping through the pages in my cozy bed with no bright screens in my face. I have no idea if the magazines come out monthly or quarterly....no clue where I could get my hands on another one- but I feel it will take me a good year to try out all the oil uses life hacks it has to offer. 

Back to hygge. Every part of the article hit home for me because THIS is how I love to live my life. Also, there are a few pointers on places where I could probably find more "hygge". Here are the highlights from the article.

1) Keep food simple.
2) Share meals with your family and friends.
3) Make your space a sanctuary.
4) Live by candlelight.
5) Surround yourself with happy memories
6) Take a hot bath.
7) Read a real book.
8) Enjoy a good cup of cocoa (or coffee, or tea.)
9) Enjoy comfy lounge wear.
10) Enjoy a good fire.
11) Explore nature.

YES to ALL of these!! My hands down favorite is #6. Take a hot bath. Ask anyone who knows me....I do this everyday, if not twice a day. Essential oils help me to enjoy all these things even better! Somehow, the oils bring about a deeper sense of appreciation for each point listed.

Side note: I celebrated my 34th birthday this week and went to Fox & Fig for dinner. If you're into plant based food...or even if you're not...its so delicious! Worth it!

Try this... (straight from the magazine)
Aromatic Bath
"Add 5-10 drops of Lavender Essential Oil to 2 cups Epsom salt and 1 cup of baking soda, and slowly pour the mixture under running water to disperse as you fill the tub. Soak for 20 min to relax muscles and open pores to release toxins, then tuck yourself in for a good night's sleep."

Finally- I wanted to invite anyone who is interested to my house on Sunday, Jan 21st at 2:00pm. I'll be hosting a class on essential oils! Whether you know all about Young Living oils and use them daily or whether this is the first you have heard- ALL are welcome! If you'd like to join, send me a message on FB and I'll give you my address!

I'll have some drinks and apps and we will do a "make-and-take." Maybe a room spray....maybe some bath salts....haven't gotten that far yet. It's casual ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment