Friday, February 25, 2011

Caroline Time

"I am something of a recluse by nature. I am that cordless screwdriver that has to charge for 20 hours to earn 10 minutes use. I need that much downtime. I am a terrible daydreamer. I have been since I was young. My mind goes walking and playing and skipping." - Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz (one of my favorite books)

I know I'm not married with kids yet, but I still savor my alone time. Don't get me wrong, I want a family of my own more than anything in the world, but I'm realizing that I should cherish the days when I can pick-up-and-go whenever I please. One day, nights like these will be long gone. These nights, I like to call, "Caroline Time."

All day at work I was daydreaming of the projects I wanted to get done that I just can't find the time or energy to do on the week days. Project #1: Chalkboarding my flour and sugar cannisters. Here, I am borrowing my fellow blogger and Camp Desoto friend, Melissa's idea. (Lot's of my recent ideas have come fromher....so here's a shout out to Melissa at Greener Grass. You shouldread her blog- you'll be glad you did!)

After going back and reading how Melissa did it, I realize that I made this WAY harder than it should have been. I saw the chalkboard stick-ons at Michael's as soon as I finished taping off my cannisters and spray painting them with Chalkboard paint. Typical. Anyway, here is my finished product: Not perfect, but cuter than the boring bags where they used to reside.



In the middle of this project I thought about another project that needed to be finished. So, while my chalkboard paint was drying, and in the spirit of "pick-up- and -go," I dropped everything and went to Michael's to find a frame for the first piece of artwork I've bought for my new place.

I've been working really hard lately on my philosophy of decorating only with things that have special and unique meaning to me. I don't want to have that house that looks like I
went to Homegoods and furnished it all in one day. I like to look around and remember the story behind the things in my house. With that being said, there is not much on the walls right now- but in due time...there will be plenty of reminders of places I've been...things I've seen....special people's faces...etc.

So here is project #2, the hanging and framing of my Daufuskie Evenings picture. Last weekend I did a little shopping (mainly window shopping) on Broughton Street. There are certain stores that I hit everytime...Eclectibles being one of them. It has really funky local art and I have been waiting for something to jump out at me, but nothing had tugged at me yet until I saw this picture. The picture itself is nothing outstanding, but it is a true to life photograph of the South Carolina symbol (palm tree with cresent moon). My grandparents live there and I did a lot of my growing up on the river at Fox Island, not far from Daufuskie. You can't see it in this picture, but the photographer captured the cresent moon behind a palm tree during an evening sunset. Its nothing extravagant, but I think happy thoughts about Fox Island when I see it. That's all that matters. PS: Ignore the 1990's baby duckling yellow on the walls. I'm renting and we're not supposed to paint :(

Mom, you'll be proud that I used my dainty, girlpower hammer to get the job done!

I got so carried away by these two projects that 8:00 rolled around and I realized I hadn't eaten dinner yet. (Me forgetting to eat is a rare occasion). So, I turned to one of my staple salads. It's my go-to meal when I don't have a game plan for anything else to make. A friend of mine threw this together awhile ago and I've been hooked ever since. I'll share because I think you will love it.

Baby Spinach
Toasted Almonds (I used walnuts today)
Grilled Chicken (I keep a bag of frozen grilled chicken strips on hand for times such as this!)
Mandarin Oranges
Goat Cheese
Poppy Seed Dressing



* note- I've been trying relentlessly to put a picture of the salad up, but my computer is NOT having it. Maybe later.

Happy Weekend to everyone!
Caroline




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out, lady! And your projects turned out awesome...I love that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should come up here and we can have a craft weekend! Love it!

    ReplyDelete