Saturday, January 12, 2013

Rumi

I've been enjoying my birthday roses so much. Today I decided to break up the full bouquet and put a few flowers in bud vases all around the house. It adds a little splash of "special" in lots of places instead of just one big bunch. They seem to last longer that way too.

Anyhow....I have a favorite poem that the roses reminded me of. One of my yoga teachers read it to us in class one night and I loved it so much that I had to come home and google it. I haven't been able to find it written out anywhere, but there is a man who reads it to music on YouTube and it is sooo soothing. I've never been much of a "poem" person, but there is something about this one that gets me every time!



What Was Said to the Rose
by: Rumi

What was said to the rose that made it open
Was said to me here in my chest
What was told the cypress that made it strong and straight
What was whispered the jasmine
So it is what it is
Whatever made sugar cane sweet
Whatever was said to the inhabitants of the town of Chigil in Turkestan that makes them so handsome
Whatever lets the pomegranate flower blush like a human face
That is being said to me now
I blush
Whatever put eloquence in language
That is happening here
The great warehouse doors open
I fill with gratitude
Chewing a piece of sugar cane
In love with the one to whom every that belongs

PS: here is the YouTube link ---> What Was Said to the Rose


Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment